I found an article with some interesting predictions about the future internet from Cisco. Things are going to continue to change dramatically in the next few years, with a very heavy emphasis on video.
The article itself is a little dry (lots of stats), but here are some of the more interesting points:
- The number of devices connected to IP networks will be nearly three times as high as the global population in 2016 – there will be 19 Billion networked devices and 40% will be IPv6-Capable.
- Globally, mobile data traffic will increase 18-fold between 2011 and 2016.
- Globally, Internet video traffic will be 54 percent of all consumer Internet traffic in 2016, up from 51 percent in 2011.
- It would take over 6 million years to watch the amount of video that will cross global IP networks each month in 2016.
- The global Internet networks will deliver 12.5 petabytes every 5 minutes in 2016.
- Broadband Speeds Will Quadruple by 2016
For more details, check it out at:
Written by Lyle Luppes.